Wednesday, January 14, 2009

1/14 and 1/15

My classes have begun and it is so nice to have something consistent to do everyday. Even though the classes are only 2 hours a day, it is really good to be able to count on 2 hours of business a day. I am also really enjoying my students. They are the first people I have met around my age, and they talk to me (even though they are forced to) in English, which is nice.

Wednesday was a pretty empty day. Not a lot to do. It is Sister Novenas last day here, and it will be sad to see her leave, even though I have only known her for a few days, she is very nice. She is being transferred to Calcutta. Yesterday her and I worked on a report together and we spoke about the joys and sorrows of leaving old places and going to new places. It was very good to talk to her about it, she is so strong, and helped me to see that I can be strong too. In the afternoon she took me with another Sr. down the street to the market, we purchased fruit and ran a few errands. The sisters bought me some mandarin oranges and a coconut! Then in the evening I went to the Missionaries of Charity home for dinner. I prayed with them, which was very nice. It comforts me in a way that nothing else does. And with all the adjustment I need as much comfort as possible! But I wasn't able/allowed to eat dinner with them, so I ate alone in a front room. They run an orphanage at the house, and the kids came into pray after we were done praying. I hope to be able to play with them soon. I rode in an auto and a rickshaw yesterday, two new experiences!

Today (1/15) I had class in the morning (8-10) which was very good. Yesterday I only had 3 students and they showed up very late. But today I had 8 students and they all mostly showed up on time. We did sentence correction, grammar, speaking, and games. So far it has been my favorite thing to do here, teach! I guess it has really been one of the only things I have been allowed to do, but all the same I enjoyed it. Int he classroom though (Mom I know this will make you scream) there were mice running around! The classroom is at SWI, which is the compound area that I am staying at. So I do not have to walk to work, and it is the first time I have seen a mouse here.

I would like to thank everyone for their emails and comments, and let you know how much I appreciate them. I know that as time goes on and I have more to do, I will not feel as out of place and lonely and I do feel like I adjust more a little everyday. But nevertheless the comments are very helpful and I especially enjoy hearing about like back in the states. And know that I love you all and miss you tons!

The wireless here is still not working, so I am not able to skype anyone, but Fr gave me a USB drive so I can transfer my blog posts from my computer to my the office computer. I am hoping the wireless will be fixed soon and I can skype everyone.

More than anything I have been praying for companionship through my journey and peace in my heart. It is easy to be nervous and anxious here when I have very little control over my life, especially since I am a control freak!! It gets lonely sometimes, so I am very glad that I brought my books and am discovering the good friend that I can be for myself. I am also praying that as time progresses I am able to see and experience lots of new things. But I also hope for productivity. It is getting difficult having so much time on my hands.

Today is the first day I am wearing my Indian dress. I have gotten quite a few compliments from staff! The legs on the pants are a little short, but that makes sense since everyone here is a good foot shorter than I am!

I think that I all for now, sorry that the posts came all at once, but hopefully they will help to convey the pieces of my experience so far. Sending all of my love.

4 comments:

  1. Hey hope you get more and more comfortable as time goes by. I'm sure you will. I still don't totally understand what you're doing, but it sounds awesome.

    I wish I had the strength to just get up and move out of the country, not to mention help people along the way.

    You are a pretty rad girl.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea darling, it is SO incredibly great to hear from you! I had a Belize meeting today and as our check activity we all said a song title (either all-time favorite song or just a song that's been our mind...). Anyway, the point of the story is that I've been thinking about you all day long and have found great comfort in country songs. As you might imagine the one and only song that has been stuck in my head is "Meet Virginia"...I search for the moon every night in hopes that I can give you a long-distance hug...I'm going to bed now (class in 5 hours :( Sweet dreams love and don't let the bed bugs bite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea,
    Great to read your reflections. I appreciate Father's first lesson for you (and all of us): Slow down and relax. You are a wonderful and creative teacher-- enjoy your time with your students. You are a brave woman.
    Hugs,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'ello love - Not to worry about the mice. After all, you mentioned a snake and I believe they eat mice. Best to worry about the snake!
    Love reading of your daily triumphs and struggles. Chin up!
    Love ya bunches, Mom

    ReplyDelete