Monday, January 19, 2009

1/19

Today began early again, 6:15am. My body just wakes up. It’s strange having always been someone who sleeps in, to feel so awake and ready for the day at 6am. It has been good for my schedule, because I do start class at 8am and it is perfect to have 2 hours to eat breakfast and chat with home. But I have to hope that after I recover from jetlag in the US, I will go back to my normal pattern of sleeping past noon. It is almost a part of my identity, it feels strange to change so completely so quickly. But that is all beside the point.
This morning there was fog (again!). The fog here is so wet that water drips off the roof. It still amazes me. Then chatting with home and breakfast. I am starting to really enjoy and look forward to the pineapple jelly on toast. Class this morning went well. I have 8 students, 6 regulars and two newbie’s. Fr. advertised for the class on a local television station, so I think that is why we are still having new students sign up. We did skits today in class; I have to say it is really great being the teacher. I can tell a difference (in speaking confidence) even after three days of class and that is so rewarding. I am almost positive that everyone in my class is older than I am, but they are very respectful, and we have fun! They always ask before they enter the class- “Ma’am, may I enter” or “Ma’am, may I leave.” And they always call me ma’am and stand up when I speak to them. It is strange to be respected in this way by people who are older than I am. I have taught my class how to play a version of catchphrase and text twist, both which they love. My favorite part about class is the laughter. After the skits we talked about our favorite holidays, and they taught me about different Hindu and Muslim holidays. At more than one point during that conversation, the entire room was cracking up. With misunderstandings and jokes, the hours seem to fly by. I learned that on January 31st there is a festival for a Hindu god, and I have already been invited to attend the festivities. The best thing about holidays in India is that even though they are religious, they are also cultural, so everyone partakes.
After class I helped Fr. edit a few documents in English, and then we had lunch. After lunch Fr. told me to go and take a rest. So I spent a few hours reading and sitting in the sun. It feels wonderful to have the sun shining down on me in the middle of winter. Then I went around and visited everyone at their desks, I spoke with Sr. and Susmita. I stayed at Susmita’s desk for a while and she showed me pictures of her friends and family. Her English is improving more each day, and each day I continue to appreciate her friendship. It is so comforting to have someone around the office to chat with. Then I decided I should bother Fr. for work before he leaves town for the week. He gave me an assignment, and I am so excited about it. He told me to prepare a full program outline, proposal, budget and framework for a rotating fund for 100 self-help groups. I am supposed to write it all up, research a US funding agency and send it to them. I am excited about this assignment because it will give me a chance to learn about the work that SWI does by approaching staff to answer my questions. It will also give me a chance to (hopefully) impress Fr. Then Fr. left and I decided to head over to Jonathon and Rubchicka (pretty sure that’s her name, by the way I feel horrible that I am so bad with names) house. When I arrived they were both home, but Jonathon was heading out for work. Rubchicka and I took Trisha down the street to play with the neighbor kids. We chatted (and decided to go the Missionaries of Charity (MC’S) on Wednesday), on the way back we ran into her neighbor. She invited us for tea. We went to her house (she is a teacher at St. Xavier’s) and had tea and a dessert (that looked like sloppy joe) that was a wonderful dessert made of carrots and sugar. Then we went to the tailor with the neighbor. The fabric here is so beautiful. We chatted with the tailor, and she served us pooch-ka and homemade sweets. I ordered a long top, and so did Rubchicka. I am thinking of having a sari made or a salvar (Indian dress with pants) out of some really beautiful material. Either way I think I will buy fabric from there for the quilt Mom is going to make. Rubchicka told me that yesterday Trisha cried when I left, which is so sweet. She said, "Auntie, auntie, where is trisha auntie!" First of all in India anyone younger than me calls me sister or auntie, which is really cute. But the story is made even better by the fact that when Father came to pick me up yesterday, Trisha said "Man go, sister stay!" Hehehe :-)
Then I walked home and had dinner alone, because Fr. Herman and Fr. Markus were nowhere to be found. But while eating dinner I found two English channels that show movies, which is pretty exciting. I also figured out how to make the shower give me hot water, which is so spectacular I can’t express it in words.
Overall today was a good day, I am finding more and more of my place. I am learning to live slowly and gently. And I am discovering the peace in my heart.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea,
    I loved your post today! The part about hot water made me smile. Isn't it great when something that trivial can put a smile on your face that big?

    I hope you are having a good Tuesday! :)

    ~JoLynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello love!
    I enjoy reading your post so much, it just makes me smile every time. I read your blog every night before I go to bed and it's my way of sayin good night and don't let the bed bugs bite :-)
    Love you MUCH and miss you.
    P.S.: Trisha sounds so cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea - It's morning here - so I shall say "good morning". Just finished watching Obama take his oath. Jesse "hooked us up" on the large screen in the conference room. Wondering if you were able to watch in "real time". I hope so - I know you would have enjoyed it - It is curious to me that in such a remote area of India they are interested in american politics. I am sure during these discussion that you are learning much about indian politics as well.
    Peace in your heart = peace in my heart too!!
    Love ya bunches, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chelsea,
    I just love reading your posts! I have been glued to the TV since 5a.m. watching all the inauguration activities. What a day for America. More than once I've teared up. I also talked to your Mom today & I will get more ideas of what to put in a care package for you and your students.

    I use to be at work at 6a.m. when I was a broker and although I haven't worked for over 10 years with that schedule, I still wake up before 5 - so you might want to roll over before this early rising thing becomes a habit!

    ReplyDelete