Sunday, January 25, 2009

1/25

Sunday mass is in Bengali. I still don't understand more than 3 to 5 words. But this is the second week that the service has included my name. Last week it was a prayer because I was new, and this week it was referencing my country because Father Herman was speaking about inspirational leaders. My head always perks up when they say my name. I enjoy the time though, even though I don't understand it is nice for me to have some reflective time surrounded by pray. We had breakfast with a few community members and the conversation was about the age at which children become independent. In India usually children live with their parents until they are married. I was explaining how it is different in the US. I enjoy discussing the similarities and differences of US and Indian culture with people, but I often wonder if I am adequately able to explain culture. Culture is undefinable and variant based on person, region and life situation. So I usually add the disclaimer that I can only speak to a small portion of life in the US, and I expect in the same way I am learning about a small portion of life in India. That being said, I think it will take me 3 months to learn that small portion :-)

At Jonathan & Ruchi's house we were having an American lunch yesterday. Ruchi's brother was in town from Calcutta, so he brought a few food items not available in Raiganj. We had sandwiches with salami, tomato and we also had mashed potatoes. It was very good! It was such a treat to have American food. Over lunch Ruchi and Jonathan told me about the way 'thank you' fits into Indian culture. They said that around friends it is not customary to say thank you often. After this I became aware of how often I do say thank you. I have been trying to control myself, but it is such an ingrained habit, and it is one of the few ways I know how to express gratitude. I was very grateful though, to have been let in on this new piece of culture.

The rest of the afternoon we played with Trisha, watched Friends, had snacks and tea and chatted. I enjoy spending time wit Ruchi and Trisha(Jonathan is usually at work). They are a lot of fun and make me feel very welcome and comfortable. In the evening we went to the saree shop, to buy me a saree for the puja on Saturday. A puja is a worship celebration for the Hindus, this Saturday is the puja for Saraswati the goddess of wisdom. Ruchi is Christan, but said that it is commong for everyone to join in on the celebrations. Ruchi's neighborhood is having a party, and she invited me. She said that the women would be very excited if I wore a saree, and I have wanted to try one, so we went to the shop and I bought a very pretty red saree. The shop has tons of them, and it was really cool to see the beautifully decorated ones for weddings. We took it to the tailor and I should have it back by today.

In the evening I went with Father Herman to try and rent Slumdog millionaire. It is very common in India to find pirated movies at video rental shops. We couldn't find it, but I remembered that Ruchi and Jonathan said they had just watched it. We stopped by their house and borrowed the DVD. Unfortunately we were not able to set it up on the tv, so we postponed it until tonight, when we will try again. I hope that the Fathers enjoy it.

Today I am off for a fishing adventure with the family who hosted us for dinner on Saturday. I am very excited, and will take lots of pictures. Sending my love.

2 comments:

  1. Aww Chels, it sounds like you are settling in quite well. I'm so glad! I love our facebook chats, and I hope that there are more to come until I can have you home with me. :) Love you, and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea-I enjoyed talking with you on the phone last night. It is great to hear your voice. It pleases me that you sound so happy.
    Today I worked on the quilt you started - it is almost ready to be layered and quilted - hope to have it finished when you return to the states. You did a great job and all the blocks are "square", which makes my part easier!!
    Enjoy each day as they come - I sure do enjoy reading about them. Love ya bunches, Mom

    ReplyDelete