Tuesday, February 10, 2009

2/10

Puthumai brought blankets from Seva Kendra for Hannah and myself. We were very thankful and warm on the train ride home. Although 8 hours of sleep on a train feels as though it only counts for 4 hours. We arrived in Raiganj on time, 6:45am, everyone was amazed at the trains promptness. We took an auto to SWI and after a quick shower and breakfast I was in front of my class. I had the class read a newspaper article today and summarize it for me, which was challenging for the students, but it seemed useful. After class, I was exhausted and Hannah and I took a nap in my bed. We woke up in time for lunch and then decided to run a few errands. We are going to get Mendi tomorrow, so we made an appointment, and then we picked up my new clothes from the tailor. Hannah needed sandals, and after about 15 stores we finally found a pair that fit her size 9/10 feet. Indian women have small feet, so most of the sizes are 4, 5 and 6. In the afternoon we went to Chonditola and had fun playing with the kids.
Puthumai left again today, he is visiting a friend who runs an old persons home about 3 hours away from here. He took a bus there and will leave tomorrow at 5am to arrive back here at 8am. I can’t understand how Puthumai can travel that much and not be utterly exhausted! But he keeps on going strong.
I didn’t eat dinner for the past two nights, and I took a very small lunch today. My stomach just isn’t hungry. Sometimes I feel for a few minutes like I am sick to my stomach, and I have been tired all day. Hopefully it isn’t anything much and will pass after a good nights sleep. I have been coughing quite a bit though, which is unfortuanate. I have worked really hard to cut dairy out of my diet again, and I am doing well at saying no to milk. Which is difficult because milk is considered a luxury here, and man hosts go out of their way to serve it to you. Refusing food in Indian is rude. Even without milk, I have still been coughing, I think it is the pollution and dust in Indian air. It isn’t painful and no where near as bad as last year, but I am keeping an eye on it and taking my inhaler when necessary.
Mom and Dad your package still hasn’t arrived. The Indian Post Office is holding hostage, until they feel they have had sufficient time to rifle though all of my things. I asked Puthumai today if we could go and demand they give us the package. He said no, which is unfortunate. I guess I will just have to keep waiting ☺ Sending my love.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsea,
    It sounds like you are doing so well! Calcutta sounds like it was quite the experience. It must have been amazing to see Mother Theresa's home & read about her life in the actual place where she lived & worked.
    As for the children in the street....what a horrific thing to have to see and know that that is a way of life for so many.
    May God continue to keep you safe & healthy. Hopefully that icky feeling has passed & you are feeling much better today.
    Take care,
    JoLynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! there it is! The language change is infiltrating your blog! "I took a very small lunch today" NOT "I had a very small lunch" or "I ate a very small lunch"

    Also, I wish I could have the milk you deny! I have had almost no dairy this entire time! :_(

    ReplyDelete