Saturday, February 14, 2009

2/12 & 13

I have never been more frustrated by a language barrier in my life. *Gritting teeth and growling*
Okay, now to start from the beginning. Puthumai and I went to meeting in Jalpiguri for a coalition of groups working on Community Based Disaster Preparedness (CBDP) projects. 12 hours round trip in the car and 24 hours in Jalpiguri. The meeting was all district coordinators running CBDP programs in different places around W. Bengal. The purpose of the meeting was to share progress and collaborate on a plan for the final year of the project. It felt like attending a class that I hadn’t read the text for. Oh yea, and the class wasn’t in English. It was also 8 hours long. I am not complaining, please don’t misunderstand my frustration as whining. I continuously kept repeating to myself, a positive outlook is key, a positive outlook is key. But regardless of my positivity I was frustrated with my own limitation, with my own inability to understand.
You see, I am an intelligent person. I know that sounds pompous, and that isn’t my intention. It is just that I have always able to contribute something in intellectual environments, or if I am not able to contribute, I am at least able to ask appropriate questions. As I sat through the meeting I understood just enough of what was being said to have no idea what was going on. There were a few people who very kindly translated for me, but the problem was they were participants in the meeting and they were more interested in what was being said than in translating it for me. I also feel as though translating is highly ineffective. I have the sneaking suspicion that 80 percent of what is said is actually lost in translation. For example, if the speaker says “There was a horrendous downpour and the villages were not able to coup with the level of rainwater,” the translated version is “He is talking about floods.” The meanings may be similar, but after 3 or 4 hours I didn’t want to hear similar meanings I wanted to hear what was actually being said.
The PowerPoints were in English, and that was helpful. That was probably the one (attention) saving grace of the weekend. Although the PowerPoints contained so many abbreviations that even as I was able to begin to formulate more complex thoughts about what was happening, I would hit a roadblock because I didn’t understand an abbreviation. By the time we left my jaw was sore from grinding my teeth in frustration.
But as we drove away I began to let go of the frustration. There is only so much that I will be able to understand here, and accepting limitations is humbling (that’s why it is so difficult). Frustration in and of itself is draining. It isn’t productive. As we drove into the night, I left my frustration in Jalpiguri and returned to Raiganj.

7 comments:

  1. Chelsea-Love the new pic on your blog. There's that smile that I miss so much. Speaking of pictures, I was looking at another IDIP student's blog (Joey's) and he has some great pictures of bats that he ate for dinner. If I were you, I wouldn't be complaining about the food you have been eating!!!
    PS to Joey (30dayorangepants)...really enjoyed the Ghanaian music videos you posted. Now you must understand that I am a 47 year old white woman, so I didn't get up and dance, but there was some foot tapping going on with that Barack Obama song!! Thanks for that Joey!
    Enjoy your weekend Chelsea, Love ya bunches, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops-Almost Forgot- HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY LOVE! There's a gift in the package if it ever arrives! Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea,
    I know exactly what you are talking about. My language skills are decent, but I am so slow to respond because I don't want to make a mistake...I had to buy something last week and the cashier said something really fast in Spanish and I asked her to repeat and she just laughed at me, and didn't repeat what she said. Hang in there baby! It can be very frusterating, but don't feel like you are not contributing to the "intellectual environment" because you are. You may not be able to verbalize everything, but they will definitely sense your good intentions. Even more, you are in fact contributing to them by serving in the community. And you are right; I have come to consider life one long process of becoming more humble to our humanity.
    Hang in there baby! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chelsea's Mom!

    It is so good to hear that somebody liked those videos! I was sad that nobody commented on them, but now I see that you did! Haha! Oh, and I finally killed my own bat, but it didn't fall from the tree...:(

    -Joey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chelsea.. But you haven't written about your understanding of "pineapple" plants and the tea gardens etc... and the problems in the tea gardens as the tea-gardens are being sold etc. I think that would have been a lot useful to your readers as well. Luv.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My understand of pinapples was that they grow on trees like coconuts. I discovered on this trip that I was mistaken and that pinapples grow in plants on the ground that look like the tops of pinapples. We also saw tea gardens which were beautiful to drive by, buy present social problems of their own. The workers of the tea gardens are usually very poor and are actually sold with the tea garden. This practice was initially began so that the workers would not loose their job just because the tea garden changed hands. Even though the intentions were good, it has turned the people into property.

    On this trip we also drove by a brick making factory and Puthumai and I discussed the horrible conditions and abuses that occur there. The workers are not paid until the bricks are baked, so if it rains and the bricks get wet before they are fired the workers loose all of their earnings. Also because bricks can't be made in the rain, the workers are unemployed during the rainy season, making income stability a serious problem. These are also physically demanding jobs that encounter similar problems as the stone quarries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it rains, they should just go to Kolkata and pull rickshaws because they are the only thing that can get around when it floods!...(take comment with a bit of sarcasm)

    ReplyDelete