Friday, March 13, 2009

3/12

Another day at Bishrail. The pace here is such that even the busiest of persons would be forced to relax. Luckily I am thoroughly enjoying this, and not fighting against it. This morning I attended mass at the girls hostel with all of the children. Mass was in English, and I was so grateful to be able to understand the readings. The kids sang a welcome song for Puthumai and me, and we were presented with marigolds. The kids are very sweet, and this is the first place I have been where the children call me m’am or miss, instead of sister. Then we had breakfast and the Fathers who live here all went off to work. Puthumai had some work, so I spent the morning lazily reading, and helping Puthumai with his work. He taught me some of Microsoft Acess, which was interesting. Then we took a walk through the village and spoke about social, political and economic conditions in India. I always enjoy these conversations, as they are intellectually stimulating and I think will help prepare me for the class I am required to take upon my return. Then was some more work, and then lunch. After lunch everyone takes rest, and although I can’t sleep in the middle of the day, I enjoy reading during this time. After a while I went out a played on the playground equipment (I couldn’t go to the school today because the students are taking their exams). Then the Sisters called us for tea. They had made special tiffin, a round ball like food made of rice powder with coconut inside. It was really good, and we all had a nice time chatting and enjoying tea. Puthumai and I took a short walk after tiffin, exploring more of the village area and speaking about development. Then it was time for the evening news and television. Dinner came quickly, and the fish was delicious. I am still not very good at removing fish bones, but I have been able to find pieces that have less bones, and I really enjoy those pieces.
There are also very small baby kittens here, and I enjoy checking on then throughout the day. They only opened their eyes a day or two ago and they are tiny! Their mother does not like me very much, but when she is away the little ones let me hold them and curl up into my hand. It is very sweet. The Sisters have baby bunnies, and they are even smaller than the kittens, with their cute tiny bunny ears and their little eyes, which aren’t even open yet.
More than anything I find myself very present in each moment, realizing that one week is as long as you make it. I keep thinking, one week, one week is so short, one week is going to go by so fast. But then I thought about spending spring break at home, or going to Illinois for the wedding, both of those trips will only be about one week, and I am hoping that they will last a long time. So, time is what you make of it, and right now I am cherishing every moment, living presently in the joy of my Indian life.
Sending love.
PS. I am in Raiganj for the day, finishing last minute errands, getting mehndi, and stopping in on a community based disaster preparedness meeting. Tomorrow I will be back to the village, then at DDC. So this might really be the last post from me. *But that could be a lie, who knows 

1 comment:

  1. I love you and wish you a very peacful week to come. It sounds like you have really grown to be part of a wonderful community, and I know how hard it can be to even think about leaving, yet alone actually leave; but you are in the best of mindset by cherishing every moment. "Live everyday like it was your last day." I wish you the very best for the coming week and can not wait to welcome you home with wide-open arms ready to embrace you in a bear hug :-)

    ReplyDelete