Monday, March 9, 2009

3/6

I woke up with that feeling in my stomach, the same feeling I had my first few weeks. It was loneliness come back to keep me company. This time though, I was prepared. Hannah is gone, and that is really sad; but I am so grateful for the time we had together. I remember praying for companionship in my first weeks here, and looking back I can see all of the companionship that I have been given for my journey. Hannah was a large part of that, but I have also found support in the staff, Fr. Puthumai and all of the kids who make my heart smile. So I got out of bed with a mission and started my day off with a positive attitude.
I spoke with Mom this morning and it was great to see her. Then I had an interview for a position back in Seattle. It was a little awkward doing the interview on the phone, but I think it went well otherwise. Then I had a small breakfast (Second Friday of Lent) and was off to class. This was officially my last regular class session, and we spent most of the time reviewing for the exam. I have really enjoyed teaching, and spent a portion of the class thanking my students and complimenting them on all that they have learned. I remember the first day of class, I couldn’t understand them, and even when I spoke at a 10 word a minute pace they couldn’t understand me. And now I am able to speak to them at a normal pace and we understand a good majority of what the other is saying. The exam is on Tuesday and then we will have a small celebration on Wednesday.
Tangent: I have three million and a half mosquito bites. The mosquitoes were really bad at the train station, and I got a few bites on my arms and legs (yes Indian mosquitoes bite through clothing). Back at SWI I put some mosquito repellant on, and went to dinner. The repellant is strong, so you have to wash it off of your hands after you use it. I washed extra hard because I knew that I was going to dinner and would eat with my fingers. Now looking down at my hands I can count at least 12 mosquito bites on my fingers and palms, which are awful places to have mosquito bites. During the station of the cross tonight there were lots of mosquitoes as well, so I also have 3 mosquito bites on the bottom of my feet and 7 on my back. The total is three million and a half. My self control is more than being tested. oh yea and I have one in my belly button, that one is really unpleasant.
After class I checked my mails (Indian way of saying I checked my email). I spent a while on the computer and wasn’t finished until lunch. I also had a chance to call Hannah. It was good to speak with her, even though its only been 12 hours . The current went out a few times, so the internet wasn’t working the whole time, but when it was working I was able to be productive. Lunch was small and afterwords I cleaned my room and packed for my weekend with the Sisters. I decided to go to Chonditola early, so that I could hold the babies before the big guys wake up from their nap. The babies were sweet and I think the staff that works there is getting used to me, they have started asking me how I am before I ask them. I held the small ones and then greeted the big ones when they woke up. After a snack of beaten rice in milk (which is a mess to feed a toddler) I played around with the larger ones, teaching them English words and playing the assortment of games we have taught them. I wasn’t able to stay for too long, because I was leaving early for the Bolagon, but I was able to give a bottle to Hannah’s favorite (this is a nickname, because of course we love them all equally).
Gabrielle, the accountant took me to Bolagon. He lives in a village near the Sisters house, so he took me on his way home. We took a trekker with 25 passengers sitting inside and 15 (+/- 5) holding on the back, sitting on the top, and hanging on the side. It was funny, there are police at Siliguri Moore, the intersection and traffic light in Raiganj, and it is illegal to have people sitting on top or holding on the sides. When we passed the intersection all of the men let go, and then 20 feet past the intersection they all jumped on again. The journey is only a few hours and we arrived before dark.
At Bolagon I was shown to my room, which is lovely, and then I went to the station of the cross. Afterwords I read in the common room with a few of the girls and then we had evening prayer. There is something really beautiful about praying with Sisters, I can’t explain it in words, they are just so connected with God. Then we had dinner and it is time for bed. The whole time there has been children laughing, running, and making noise in the background because the upstairs of the Sisters convent is a girls hostel. I love the noise, especially during prayer; it makes everything seem more alive. Good night for now, sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment